Emergent Friends of NW Arkansas

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Ponderings from the 2006 Emergent Theological Convention

Greetings friends,

This morning's Emergent/C E-News highlighted the just ended 2006 Emergent Theological Conversation convention in New Haven, CT (http://www.emergentvillage.com/Site/Resource/Events/2006TheoConv.htm). The conference centered around Miroslav Volf's books: Exclusion & Embrace: A Theological Exploration of Identity, Otherness, and Reconciliation (http://cokesbury.com/search.aspx?scope=author&query=volf&pid=002826) and his just released book, Free of Charge (http://www.zondervan.com/Books/Detail.asp?ISBN=0310265746)

I especially resonated with the comments made by attendee, Rev. Stephanie Spellers, St. Paul's Episcopal Cathedral Church, Boston. "Driving away from New Haven, I'll be pondering a question, wrestling with an image: arms wide open. But how wide? I've got no answers. I do have some voices and visions, in particular the voices of folks in Tuesday's "Diversity and Embrace" breakout. Some wondered how we can nurture emerging communities that are accessible to a wide variety of people, and not just the tech-savvy, class- and gender- and race-united circles most of us call "home". Others went pragmatic, saying we can only be who we are, only authentically explore what we have in our midst.
That answer feels realistic and probably savvy for church growth, but hopelessly flat in relation Christ's gospel of reconciliation, transformation and liberation. Are we destined to be cool, creative social clubs?"


Rev. Stephanie spoke of the very same *fears* I hold near and dear to my heart (actually perhaps some of you have heard me express them, lol.)

My question to ponder is how do those in leadership (who perhaps by their nature and calling have more "inclusive" hearts) help those they teach and shepherd "learn" this? Can it be "learned? What do you think?

2 Comments:

  • Sandy, I got your e-mail.

    This is an interesting question. It seems humans are hard-wired to "stick with their own kind" - age, race, economic status, whatever. Certainly a result of the Fall, but difficult to break out of, isn't it? I can easily give mental assent to "arms wide open" but living it out proves to be much more difficult.

    By Blogger kingsjoy, at 7:15 AM  

  • I sure wish I understood the "why is it so" influence factor in that tendancy to cluster that way. I have personally felt the pain of rejection my "my own kind" BECAUSE God has wired me to be the type who has my arms wide open...across the traditional boundries.

    That surely hurts my human heart, but I have also felt the warmth of God smiling down on my choices. Wish I could help others get past the hurt and feel that warmth because it is empowering.

    By Blogger Sandy Mc, at 7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home